Welcome Westerosi Law enthusiasts, students, and critics! You can listen to Learned Hands Pod right here!
Episode 18: "Dance Party Vol. II: One Flew Over The Coup Coup's Nest" – Learned Hands: The Official Podcast of the Westerosi Bar Association
In this eighteenth episode of Learned Hands, the Official Podcast of the Westerosi Bar Association, Maester Merry & Clint from Laws of Ice and Fire ask: What role did Westeros’ legal system play in enabling the Greens' coup? What lessons can we learn from it?Our analysis this week includes:Learned Hands returns to the Dance of the Dragons as we cover the aftermath of the Great Council of 101AC and the weirdly flaccid reign of Viserys I.We detail all of the various institutional, historical, and legal factors that facilitated the Greens' power grab.Lots of comparisons to real-life coups, including the failed attempt we all just lived through. Your hosts give you their fair and balanced opinions on Daemon Targaryen (who sucks).Clint giddily rants about Varys' Riddle AND Federalist 10 AND gets to make a tortured Seven Kingdoms/Federalism analogy for like three hours.Merry instructs you, the listener, on how to pull off a 100% successful coup!(lol jk)We ask the question of whether Westeros is actually fit for unified government. My god so much swearing. Supplemental reading: Tayyab Mahmud, Jurisprudence of Successful Treason: Coup d'Etat & Common Law, 27 CORNELL INT'L L. J. 49 (1994), https://digitalcommons.law.seattleu.edu/faculty/543Coup d'État: A Practical Handbook, Revised Edition: Luttwak, Edward N.: 9780674737266: Amazon.com: Books see also CHART: How to Execute a Coup (businessinsider.com) Clint's discussion about Varys' Riddle on NotACast for ACOK Tyrion IIExtensive editing by LittleWolfBird. Bumpers by Adriana, Lady Counselor of the Summer Isles and Archmaester of Pedantic Sophistry. Intro & Outro music courtesy Sid Luscious & The Pants. None of this should be construed as legal advice OBVIOUSLY. Support the show (https://www.WesterosBar.org)
- Episode 18: "Dance Party Vol. II: One Flew Over The Coup Coup's Nest"
- Episode 17: “The Brotherhood Without War Crimez”, feat. BryndenBFish
- Episode 16: “Stop the Steal! The Election of Lord Commander Jon Snow”
- Episode 15.5: BONUS Horny Jail Livestream Audio
- Episode 15: “The Horny Trial of Rhaegar Targaryen”
- Episode 14: “The First Law of Braavos”
- Episode 13: "Dawn Age Of The Dead", feat. JoeMagician
- Episode 12: "Dance Party Vol. I; The Precedent That Never Was"
- Episode 11: "My Uncle Kevan", feat. Stanford Fraser
- Episode 10: "Let's Talk About Sex, Pt. II", feat. Kristine Kippins